For many businesses that aren't using TimeForge and don't have access to the Daily Log, keeping track of the daily notes, events, task lists, to-do items, and can be a cumbersome task. Add to that having to keep track of employee attendance and employee schedules, and it's any wonder work actually gets done.
This article explains the disadvantages to using pen-and-paper log books and explains why the TimeForge Daily Log, an online digital log book, is superior in every way.
The disadvantages of pen and paper logbooks
Some businesses tackle the tornado of paper and notes with supplies from the local office supply store, such as notepads, lab notebooks, 3-ring binders, and other similar products. While these products are inexpensive, the disadvantages are obvious:
- Paper products will tear with even mild abuse.
- Writing can be smudged or rendered unreadable with a single drink spill, or wet hands.
- Staff using ink pens can scratch out each others notes, making notes indecipherable.
- Handwriting from management and staff in a hurry can be unreadable weeks or months after the note is made.
- Light weight notebooks can easily be lost in a back office.
- Searching dozens of paper notebooks for historical notes is impossible.
- Organizing paper books into categories on a day-by-day basis is cumbersome at best.
- Multi-unit (multiple location) operators have no insight into the day-to-day operations of each location without faxing and scanning pages to each other.
In most cases, the paper log book is simply insufficient for modern businesses. Many niche businesses provide organized paper equivalents of the 3-ring binder or lab notebook, like RedBook Communications and CommLog. While these product are superior to paper notebooks from your local office supply store, almost all of the disadvantages of the paper process remain. In addition, these proprietary log books are organized in a format that might not work for your business.
Why the TimeForge Daily Log is superior
Fortunately, the TimeForge Daily Log does not suffer from any of the disadvantages described above. The TimeForge Daily Log is a superior digital log book, designed to work the way that your business works. Some of the advantages of the TimeForge Daily Log include:
- You always know where it is. Simply log in to your TimeForge account with a web browser or mobile phone. It's always accessible and always on, which means it can never be misplaced.
- Notes are never smudged, because they are entered into the computer. There's no need to remember acronyms, abbreviations, or interpret sloppy handwriting.
- Staff and Management notes cannot be erased. They can be removed from searching, but they are always available. You'll never lose another note!
- Every note is tagged with the staff member who entered it, as well as the date and time that the entry was made. No more finger pointing over late or misplaced notes.
- You can organize the Daily Log to work the way your business works, with your own categories. Use your own organization system to track any note or reminder you need.
- Built-in search capabilities allow you to quickly and easily search notes. You can search instantly for notes by staff member, date, category, or across multiple locations!
- Keep notes organized across multiple stores, without the need to fax or scan pages from your notebook. You always have instant access to one or more locations!
- Divide notes into what employees should see (the Staff Log) and what management needs to see (the Manager Log). Send broadcast notes to staff and ensure that manager notes are only viewed by managers.
A quick look at the TimeForge Daily Log
Here's a quick introduction using a Manager Log as an example.
- Handy search bar on the left.
- The current date's log entries are always at the top.
- Add a new entry with a single click!
- Use the date picker to select a specific date.
- Switch between the three different log types.